Friday, December 4, 2009

Following Up

So unfortunately I didn't get as much done over Thanksgiving Break as I had hoped in terms of job searching. :(

With what time I wasn't spending with my family celebrating Thanksgiving, I was working on homework and projects. I hate it when teachers expect you to get a lot done over breaks like this. Thanksgiving definitely didn't feel like much of a vacation for me, so I'm looking forward to Christmas Break even more now. Luckily the end of B term is approaching quickly. (When did that happen?!)

So even though I didn't get as much done as I had hoped, I did make a tiny bit of progress in the job search department. I know I blogged earlier about a job interview I had over October break. Well, I wrote a thank you note after that, and when I didn't hear from them, a few weeks later I sent a follow up email to my contact in HR. I asked her if they had made any decisions in terms of the position and let her know that if they hadn't I was still interested. My email was probably was a little later than I ideally should have sent it, but I guess better a little late than never? I feel like I get tunnel vision while at school here and I'm so focused on the here and now that I occasionally lose sight of the bigger picture and am somewhat unaware about how fast time is actually going. (Probably why I'm always so suprised by the end of the term....oops.)

But anyway, the lady emailed me back and told me that they weren't making a decision until the end of January and that I should hear from them then. She said I didn't have to do anything, but to feel free to contact her again in January if I hadn't heard.

The good news is that I didn't miss the boat on this one like I was afraid I had, and I still have a shot at this internship which sounded pretty cool. :)

So, moral of the story: Follow up and stay on top of things. Put dates to get stuff done by in your planner if necessary. At a school like this it's sooooo easy to focus purely on homework and projects with deadlines that it's easy to forget about other parts of your life (like job seraching!) which are also important.

No comments:

Post a Comment