Monday, February 22, 2010

The Career Fair is over...now what?

I have mixed feelings on how the Career Fair went for me. I was a little frustrated by the fact that the few companies I was really interested in talking to seemed to have the longest lines, but some of the conversations I had seemed to go pretty well.

There was one company there that I had been interested in in the past (I'm pretty sure I've blogged about contacting them) but didn't seem to have a lot of luck with. However, I got to talk to one of the recruiters who happened to be a WPI alum from a few years ago. While looking at my resume he was pretty optimistic because we had the same advisor, same major and concentration, same classes, and were involved in the same engineering community service project. (The only reason why we hadn't worked on the project together was because I didn't join until part way through my sophomore year.) Although they weren't looking for this type of intern at the fair, he encouraged me to check the career page on their website and if I found something talk to him and have my advisor talk to him. He said his boss was a WPI alum with similar credentials so they like hiring people with the same background. It was slightly disappointing that they weren't currently looking for that type of intern, I was happy to make this connection because a lot of times I feel like recruiters will just say something along the lines of "I'll take your resume and appy online" and that's it. This is definitely an opportunity I need to follow up on.



I also talked to another company that I was sort of interested in. They had a few internships avaliable and made medical equipment. The recruiter I talked to was really friendly and gave me her email address so I'll have to follow up with this company too. It's always good to have options. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment